Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mancat Monday


Where do I start? It has been an awful weekend starting with the death of Hubby's sister ( who had terminal cancer) to my 20 mile run followed by Cecil getting very sick on Saturday and a quick visit to the VET.

Yes, Cecil the cat who now has 7 lives left.

Cecil seemed very hungry Friday morning. I left one small can of cat food , in his dish, when I left for work. When I got gone from work, I saw that he only ate a few bites and found him on my bed lying on some clean towels. He was pretty quiet throughout the night. When we went to bed I picked him up and noticed a small amount of clear mucous leaking from his bottom. He appeared tired but nothing else seemed out of order.

Saturday morning I needed to run 20 miles for my Marathon training. I wanted to get up early to beat the heat. Hubby woke up around 5:00 AM,  came into the living room to have a cup of coffee and talk about his sister before I left.  At the time, Cecil was sitting in the living room but not begging for his breakfast, which was his normal M.O..

I was gone almost 5 hours. When I walked in the door, Hubby was on the phone talking to his son. Immediately,  I saw three areas in the Condo where Cecil had vomited. I asked Hubby what was going on, he said he had cleaned up several messes while I was gone. Finally, I found Cecil. My poor little man was so weak he could barely walk, his backside was all wet with mucous...and I was freaking out!

He had been hiding under the bed, and the look on his face made the hairs on my neck stand up.I knew he was in trouble. I called our VET and they said to bring him in within the hour. I took a shower, dressed and off to the VET we went. I did not have to use the PTU.  Poor Cecil was so sick,  I wrapped him in a towel and off we went.

By then, Hubby and I were both freaking out. Hubby was asking about  leukemia, I was thinking of bowel obstruction....

We had never met Dr. Tracy but he was just as caring as Dr. Kim. He poked, prodded, asked many questions about anything Cecil could have ingested and decided to keep him to run lab tests and give SQ fluids. He would call us in 1.5 hours and give us the results. He was optimistic and felt it was something that could be remedied easily. Boy, what a relief!

True to his word, he called on time and had a diagnosis of Pancreatitis. Cecil had ingested something toxic..but what? We may never know...could it be M&M's the grandkids and I were eating? Could it be the Christmas Cactus I got before I brought him here?

We picked him up  after he was given SQ fluids, Dexamethasone and a Pen-G injection. Also, he was sent with a weeks supply of RX bland food and amoxicillin to be administered twice a day.

Good news, he is feeling much better today. I have fed him small amounts twice, he takes his ABX without any difficulty and he is using the litter box, no vomiting but no poops yet.

So, that is our ManCat Monday. On our way to full recovery!

Chloe, making sure her brofur, Cecil, is OK.

Chloe groomed, and loved, Cecil all evening. She stayed next to him, kept him warm and comfy, and made sure he was well taken care of. She is a wonderful sister!

14 comments:

  1. OH NO! Poor Cecil. Our paddy has pancreatitis and it is a painful illness! Glad you got him to the VET and on fluids and painkillers! Poor baby!

    Paddy is on a low fat diet now - and we watch him like a hawk!

    Glad he is feeling better

    Licks
    Paddy and Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a traumatic week you have had. Our thoughts are with you regarding your hubby's sister. Poor Cecil, what a frightening time for you. So glad he is on the mend. How lucky he is to have a sister so attentive :)xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm very sorry for the loss of your sister. And now I am your newest follower.

    Sincerely,
    Cokie

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMC !!! Me and mom are freaking out too when first read the story !
    Poor Cecil, but it's great to know he is o.k. Paw Crossed and I send lots of purrs to him.

    Mom said you may need to hind all suspicious toxic stuff from him till you know what is it ?

    and we are so sorry for your loss
    Hugs to you and your family
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are glad Cecil is feeling better, and hope that your heart rate soon returns to normal. Nothing gets the muzzer more frazzled than thinking one of the fur kids is sickie, and we are sure it is that way at your house too.

    kisses for Cecil

    gussie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very sorry to hear about Hubby's sister, but I am very glad that Cecil is on the mend. We're sending lots and lots of purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Cats! What a weekend. Our sympathies on the loss of your SIL. Please take care.
    Big purrs for Cecil; we are glad the vet got his diagnosis in one try and that he's doing better...all that sister luvvin will make him feel wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Cecil! I'm glad he is on the mend now.

    I'm very sorry for the loss of your sister-in-law. I'm purring for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all! He was up early this morning but now is sticking his nose up at the RX food....oh well! He is so picky but that is all he is supposed to eat for one week. I will keep an eye on him and hopefully he will get hungry at noon and I will heat a little in the microwave...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Cecil!! We are glad he is doing ok now. We are very sorry to hear about your hubby's sister :(

    We hope you have a good week!!

    Pugs & Kisses,

    Yoda, Brutus & Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Cecil! And what a weekend!

    Sympathies to your family for your loss, may your sister-in-law be at peace.

    Sending White Dog healing energy to bring Cecil back to full speed and positive thoughts that this is a one-time event. Chloe is a very loving and caring sister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law's death. It is awful to lose a loved one. Then to have a sick kitty on top of it. I am glad that your kitty issues appear to be resolving themselves. I have my fingers crossed that you are going to get some good news soon to help put that awful weekend behind you.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are so deeply sorry about your husband's sister, that is just awful...sending you warm hugs...
    We are happy that Cecil seems to be on the mend...I was so nervous as I was reading your post but am very happy that all seems to be ok!
    Sending warm purrs to you as well

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry about your sister-in-the-law. Poor Cecil ... my paws are crossed that he feels better soon.

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete